lahznimmo architects were engaged by the Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority (SHFA) in December 2013 to provide a conceptual design proposal for a boutique Hotel at 188 Cumberland Street - The Watch House site – incorporating the adjoining row of four State heritage listed nineteenth century terraces (182-186 Cumberland Street) in the proposal.
188 Cumberland Street has remained undeveloped since 1924, the site being used for various general public utility purposes. In 2010 the site underwent an archaeological excavation, which uncovered highly significant archaeological remains.
The Watch House site provides a rare opportunity to directly integrate historical and archaeological built fabric. New and innovative ways to incorporate the archaeology as an active element of the new building were asked to be explored during the concept design phase.